These Chocolate Orange Flapjacks are delicious: filled with dark chocolate chips, with a tangy orange flavour and topped with Terry’s chocolate orange.
Chocolate Orange is such a delicious flavour combination and features a lot in my baking (see the bottom of this post for examples). Due to the success of my Mars Bar flapjacks I wanted to create a similar recipe using Terry’s chocolate orange, and here they are my Chocolate Orange Flapjacks which are seriously moreish.
This Slow Cooker Chocolate Orange Cake is very easy to make and your slow cooker/crock pot does all the hard work for you, therefore, giving you time to get on with other important non-cake stuff!
In all the years that I have owned and been using slow cooker, I have never made a sweet recipe with it. This seems hard to believe, however, it is true! I guess being a baker, I am happy to make my cakes in an oven, and have not felt the need to cook them slowly. Therefore, I have only cooked savoury dishes in my slow cooker. Until now!
Every Christmas for as long as I can remember I have received a Terry’s Chocolate Orange. It is a chocolate which makes me think of Christmas because of this! I have fond memories of trying to break each one open by banging them down hard on my bedside table, to open them up and then devour the delicious chocolate orange segments.
For my OH’s birthday back in February I decided to make him a cake based on one of his favourite chocolates. Last year I made him a Fererro Rocher Cake which meant that this year I would use a Terry’s Chocolate Orange to base his cake around. I had actually spotted some chocolate oranges on special just after Christmas and had managed to hide one away for the cake without anyone discovering it!
This is a very simple cake to make – I used my faithful victoria sponge recipe and method and cream cheese and chocolate spread frosting – and here is how I made this Chocolate Orange Cake
Chocolate Orange Cake
Author: Jenny Paulin
Recipe type: desserts
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 jar of chocolate orange flavoured chocolate spread (Tesco stock a nice one)
- 200g tub of full fat soft cheese
- 1 Terry's chocolate orange
- grease and line 2 x 8 inch baking tins
- pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- *To make the sponges:
- Cream the butter with the sugar until pale and creamy
- Add the eggs and a spoonful of the sifted flour and beat together
- Carefully add the remaining flour and fold in until combined
- Divide the mixture between the two baking tins and place in the oven
- Cook for about 20-25 minutes until cooked
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding the frosting
- *To make the frosting:
- Mix the cream cheese and chocolate orange spread together until combined
- *To assemble the cake:
- Sandwich the two sponges together with some of the frosting and then cover the outside of the cake - the top and all around it - with more of the chocolate orange frosting
- Then break open the Terry's chocolate orange (taking 1 segment for yourself - a perk of the cake making!) and decorate the top of the cake with the segments however, you like or feel free to do as I did.
- Then your Chocolate Orange Cake is ready.
- Keep in a cool place.
- the frosting
- Then top your cake with the crunchie shards
If you love the flavour of chocolate orange and you enjoy eating cake then I am pretty sure that you will LOVE this cake!!! It tasted as good as it looks and a little really does go a long way as it is very indulgent.
Chocolate Orange Cake – it’s not Terry’s it’s …well for whoever you want to make it for 🙂