I love a bargain, and earlier this week I heard a rumour from my OH’s Gran that Sainsburys were selling off their jars of mincemeat for just 5p each!!! Yes just 5 pennies, and not being able to resist this tempting offer, I drove over to my local store and bought myself some jars, which still had plenty of date left.
Having not made any of my homemade mince pies at Christmas, I was fancying something made with mincemeat and looking through my kitchen I found a large bag of oats and thought aha! Mincemeat flapjacks. When I experimented last year and made my Mars Bar Flapjacks, I kept the recipe really simple by using just 3 ingredients. Well, my Mincemeat Flapjacks are also just as easy to make and also use just 3 ingredients – how simple is that? So not only were they easy to make, but very cheap too – perfect!
Here is how I made them
- 1 jar of mincemeat
- 50g unsalted butter
- 200g oats
- pre heat the oven to 160oC / 140oC (fan)
- grease and line an 8inch square brownie tin
- place the butter and mincemeat in a non stick pan over a gentle heat and melt together to make a sticky sauce
- once melted, add the oats and stir to coat them all with the sauce
- pour into the tin and bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and just cooked
- allow to cool and then cut into squares
Deeeeeeelicious! They reminded me a little of Christmas Pudding. This would make a lovely alternative to mince pies at Christmas time, and would be less fattening too. So if you have some mince meat going spare, then why not give these a try?