It always irks me how as soon as Boxing Day has passed, you can buy Easter eggs in the shops! Now don’t get me wrong, I love eating a chocolate egg as much as the next chocolate egg eating person, BUUUUUUT I do feel selling them straight after Christmas and so soon is too early.
My favourite little easter treats are mini eggs they are so scrumptious and pretty and easy to eat! I have made a few recipes now which include them (see the bottom of this post for some), and the other week I decided to make another cake incorporating them when my friend Lisa came for a visit and I had been promising her a cake for ages. Hence this Malteser MaltEaster Bunny & Mini Egg Chocolate Cake was invented.
I know that there are so many easter egg inspired cakes and bakes out there, but as far as I know I had not seen any that include Malteser Malteaster chocolate easter bunnies. I thought that I could make a chocolate cake which had the Malteser bunnies, big ones and baby ones, around the outside, a bit like those kitkat or chocolate fingers cakes.
Then I just added lots of mini eggs, big and small ones, on the top to make it look colourful and well more yummy!
This was an easy cake to make because it was just a chocolate sponge cake, filled and covered with a cream cheese and chocolate spread frosting, and then decorated with the easter chocolates.
My friend was not expecting such a cake – she had envisaged a slice with a cuppa at my house, not a whole cake to take home! I think I was her favourite friend that week lol!
If you fancy making this for Easter – because it would brighten up any table over the Easter weekend, or maybe make it after Easter to use up any leftover (if such a thing exists in your home!), then here is how you can make it.
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 160g self raising flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 250g full fat cream cheese
- 1 x 400g jar of chocolate spread (I used the Tesco value one)
- 10 large Malteser Malteaster chocolate easter bunnies
- 10 mini Malteser Malteaster chocolate easter bunnies
- 1 x 328g bag of Cadburys mini eggs
- 1 x 90g bag of Tesco micro chocolate eggs
- pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- grease and line 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins
- cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes until pale and soft
- add the eggs and a spoonful of the flour and beat for a few more minutes
- fold in the remaining flour and the cocoa powder
- divide the batter between the two tins and then cook in the oven for 22-25 minutes approx
- leave the cakes to cool
- once the sponges are cold to the touch, make your frosting by beating the cream cheese and chocolate spread together
- sandwich the two sponges together with some of the frosting
- then cover the cake with the remaining frosting
- take your chocolate bunnies, and stick around the side of the cake alternating between a big and a small bunny
- then once this has been done, carefully pour/add the eggs onto the top of the cake
- serve and enjoy 🙂
I think this cake definitely has a wow factor for your guests, or just yourself (lol) this easter time, or maybe as a birthday cake for someone who loves chocolate cake and easter chocolates.
I have now made a video showcasing this cake:
Other recipes using mini eggs:
This cake is my entry into the Firelabel best dressed baking award.
hosted by Belle Kitchen