This delicious Slow Cooker Mars Bar and Banana Cake is made in a slow cooker / crock pot and makes a perfect pudding served with ice cream or custard, or eaten alongside a cuppa.
Until recently, I had never made a cake in my slow cooker before. My first attempt was a Slow Cooker Chocolate Orange Cake which turned out so well, that I thought I would have another attempt. Therefore, I used up some ripe bananas and created a Slow Cooker Mars Bar and Banana Cake one Sunday afternoon.
I have made a traditional Banana and Mars Bar cake before, you know quickly and in the oven but I figured I would try making one in my slow cooker and have it cooking away while I prepared a Sunday roast, so we could have it for pudding.
You can actually see how easy it is to make by watching my video :
What is so good about making a cake in the slow cooker, is that if your oven is being used for a long period of time at the wrong temperature for baking, you can still enjoy a cake for dessert!
The cake took 2 hours and 30 minutes to cook (on high), so if you were off out and not in a rush to for a sugary hit after your Sunday lunch, your could leave it cooking on low for 4-5 hours while you are out and about instead.
I love how the Mars Bars caramelises and crystallises inside the cake, which adds a lovely flavour and texture inside the sponge. Bananas go very well with Mars Bars!
While a slow cooker cake does not have the same light sponge as one baked inside an oven, it is not stodgy or heavy and tastes really nice.
I would say that it maybe does not keep as well or for as long, but then to be honest what cake does hang around for long? Not in my house anyway.
If you have never tried making a cake in your slow cooker, then I say give it a go. I did and it is well worth doing while your oven is already in use, or you are off out for a few hours but want to come home to a homemade cake.
Here is the recipe:
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 6 Mars Bars, 4 roughly chopped and 2 thinly sliced
- I did this part in a food processor):
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and pale
- Add the eggs and beat well until light and creamy
- Add the bananas and beat well
- Add the flour and mix well
- Finally, add the 4 chopped Mars Bars and beat well one last time
- Grease and line the inside of a slow cooker
- Pour in the batter and smooth over
- Add the 2 thinly sliced Mars Bars over the top of the cake batter
- Put the lid on
- Cook on high for 2 hours 30 minutes, or until the cake is firm but slightly springy
- Remove carefully, and enjoy a slice or two
Linking to Lucy’s