This Hamburger Cake is fun to make and consists of a vanilla sponge bap covered in coffee butter cream, filled with a chocolate brownie burger, chocolate spread with cheese and salad made from fondant icing.
The Great British Bake Off is back!!!! Yaaaay *does a happy dance* ! Of course this means that it also sees the return of the Great Bloggers Bake Off (#GBBOBloggers2017) *does another happy dance*. Also, it sees the return of me baking lots and trying not to gain too much weight! Well, I have failed on that score already with my Hamburger Cake which I managed to bake today. However, I have already sampled a slice (a very small one!), despite my promise to myself last night that I would be back on my healthier eating today!
Anyway, back to the Great British Bake Off. Now I have to be honest, after it was revealed last year that this year the show would change channels, change presenters and co-presenters, well I was not sure I would want to watch it. I was not sure other people would want to still watch it. Furthermore, I was not sure whether or not to host my GBBOBloggers linky!
However, judging by my twitter feed over the last couple of weeks, I think the show will go on and be ok. Maybe not as good as it was now we are missing Mary, Mel and Sue. However, I think the format looks the same, which it should be because it worked before, and will work well going forward. Therefore, hopefully us GBBO fans will continue to love the baking institution that is the Great British Bake Off.
No doubt by now we will all have seen the first episode, and met the new contestants, pondered if were like the new presenters and how much we miss Mary! Ultimately, of course we will have seen some scrummy cakes in the process (I love cake week – my favourite!). We can also decide which bakers we like already. Who do you like so far?
Therefore, this week the themes are:
Signature Bake : Fruity Cake (fresh fruit)
Technical Bake : Mini Rolls
Showstopper : Illusion Cake ( a cake that dos not look like a cake).
I decided to go with an Illusion Cake (although now having watched the show, I am thinking darn it! Could have made a blackberry cake using the blackberries I picked, for a Fruity Cake!) . Incidentally, while my Hamburger Cake is nowhere near as amazing as some of the cakes featured on tonights show (so many amazing ones weren’t there? For example, that BLT Sandwich cake was stunning!), I don’t think it is too bad considering how quick I made it and got this post written up today!
The Hamburger cake consists of a vanilla flavoured ‘bap’ which is covered in a coffee flavoured buttercream, to give it its bread colour. Then, inside the bap, is a chocolate brownie ‘burger’, with some chocolate spread. Finally, I added a cheese slice, and some tomato and lettuce made from fondant icing. I also added some French fries and ketchup, also made from icing, as an extra decoration.
It was not too hard to make really. Off course, I have seen these type of cakes on the internet, and therefore, I could see roughly how to make one. If I were better with fondant, then I could have covered the bap parts with a beige coloured icing, but as it is I am not, and there3fore, coffee buttercream it was.
- *For the 'Baps'
- 200g Butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- *For the burger*
- 100g self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp chocolate spread
- *For the cheese, lettuce and tomato*
- yellow, red and green fondant icing
- Chocolate Spread
- Betty Crocker ready made coffee flavoured buttercream
- red and yellow fondant icings to make French fries and a dollop of ketchup
- *To make the baps*
- Grease and line a 6 inch loose bottomed cake tin
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- Beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until light and creamy
- Add the eggs, the vanilla extract/essence and a spoonful of flour and beat again for a few more minutes
- Fold in the remaining flour until combined
- Bake in the oven for approx 40-45 minutes or until cooked right through
- Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin
- *To make the burger*
- Grease and line 1 x 8 inch round cake tin
- Keep the oven at 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl and beat well for a few minutes until combined
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 20 minutes
- Leave to cool until cold
- *Preparing the sponges*
- Using the bottom from the loose bottomed 6 inch cake tin, cut the same sized circle from the chocolate sponge
- Now, cut the vanilla sponge cake . You need to make two burger bap shapes - and remove the excess domed cake from the sponge (see photos)
- Place the bottom bap onto a plate and coat the sides with the coffee flavoured buttercream.
- Next, spread some chocolate spread onto the base and then top with the burger sponge
- Spread with some more chocolate spread
- Take the yellow icing, and cut a thin square to make the melted cheese slice, and add this to the top of the burger
- Now take some green and red icing, roll out and cut two lettuce leaf shapes and cut out two small circles to make tomato slices, and stick to the yellow cheese, so that they overhang over the sides of the burger (see photos).
- Cover the top bap sponge with some more coffee buttercream, and smooth over.
- Add it to the cake
- You can make some yellow icing French fries and some red icing ketchup for added fun and decoration if you wish.
Hamburger Cake – Pin for later x
The #GBBOBloggers2017 Linky
You are welcome to bake along with me and some other long standing GBBOBloggers, the more the merrier in fact. You can read the rules here which are not strict really, but they just explains my twitter accounts and all that jazz! All I ask is that you please add my badge, a link to my blog and share the GBBO love by sharing or commenting on some of the bakes that link up.
The linky will open either Tuesday after the new episode, or Wednesday morning, depending on how organised I have been! I might not have time to cary out a full Star Baker round up as I have done in previous years. However, I will still devise a Star Baker Badge for each episode. Therefore, if this proves to be the case, and I don’t have time to write a separate post each week, then I will mention the Star Bakers in my new recipe post with the new linky. Of course, this might change …….. and therefore, we will see how it goes.
Now, on your marks, get set and baaaaaaaaake!!!!! xx
Hosted by Recipes Made Easy