This Coffee and Walnut Cake is such a classic tea time favourite, and this version contains walnuts in the batter and frosting too.
My Nanny loves Coffee and Walnut Cake and it is one of her favourite cakes to enjoy with a cup of tea. It was her birthday the other week and she turned 84, and as she was staying with my Mum anyway we arranged for them both to visit me and the boys after school, so , naturally, I thought ~I would make her a birthday cake.
My Mum and I take it in turns to make her a cake – this was my effort last year (Mum did the year before) – check out my candle for her LOL
It so happened that I had recently been sent a Nescafe Dolce Gusto Krup coffee machine to review – the Movenza edition. You can see my demonstration showing how sleek and stylish it looks, as well as showing you how easy it is to maker a latte at home here
I decided to use a shot of espresso in my cake for my Nanny instead of instant coffee as I would normally
Then I added it to the cake batter and I also added some to the frosting.
The finished cake looked very inviting to eat I think, and my Nanny LOVED it (forgot to take a photo of her enjoying a slice of it though!). Mum and I enjoyed our slices, too and they took the rest of the cake back home with them to share with my Step Dad and to share between them all for some second and maybe even third slices.
If you fancy making a Coffee and Walnut Cake, then here is the recipe:
- 200g unsalted butter
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 50ml strong shot of black coffee/ espresso
- 150g self raising flour
- 50g walnuts - ground
- *For the frosting*
- 150g icing sugar
- 75g unsalted butter
- 25g ground walnuts
- 1 tbsp milk
- 40ml espresso coffee
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC
- Grease and line 2 x 8inch cake tins
- Cream the butter and sugar together for a a few minutes until pale and creamy
- Add the eggs and beat well
- Add the cooled espresso and a spoonful of flour and beat again
- Now fold in the flour until combined
- Divide the batter between the two cake tins, and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until risen and cooked right through
- Leave to cool before removing from the tins
- Beat the butter until soft
- Carefully add the icing sugar - you might want to do this in two parts - and beat until soft and creamy
- Add all but 1 tbsp of the ground walnuts, milk and coffee and beat to make a nice consistency
- Now spread half the frosting onto the two sponges and sandwich together and add the rest of the frosting onto the top of the cake
- Sprinkle the rest of the ground walnuts onto the frosting for a final decoration.
If you have a delicious bake, please come and link it up to:
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="http://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
So if you have a bake please link up and remember to comment on as many other linked up bakes as your are able to please .
The linky will remain open until Monday evening for you to add up to 3 bakes per blog. Please remember to link to both Helen (http://casacostello.com) and me (http://mummymishaps.co.uk) in your blog posts please, aswell as adding the #BakeoftheWeek badge below. If you tweet your recipe, please include me (@jennypaulin) and/or Helen (@casacostello) and we will RT it.
What we will do:
*Comment on every entry
*Include a pic and link to every entry in the following week’s roundup
*Pin, G+ Tweet each entry – Most will also be added to StumbleUpon, Yummly
Thank you to everyone who linked up last week over with Helen, who herself made this amazing Paw Patrol Cake which my Jenson would love to receive.
I linked up my Unicorn Pancakes
Thank you also to these wonderful bloggers who baked these gorgeous creations:
Lucy with these pretty Vanilla Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream
Chonnie who has just celebrated her first blogaversary, linked up these delectable Double Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Finally are these stunning mini GF Colourful Meringues – they look like edible marbles. So this is my #BakeoftheWeek – well done Kate 🙂 x
If you have your own Bake of the Week, please link it up below and see who Helen selects as her favourite next week
I was sent a Nescafe Dolce Gusto Krups Movenza machine for the purpose of a review.