I dont know about you, but I find it interesting discovering what super food properties certain foods contain. I have been reading a book to Burton and Jenson about eating and how our bodies absorb food, and how it gives us energy, helps our bodies to function etc.. and it is all rather amazing really.
So with this in mind I decided to make a cake which contained superfoods, packed full of protein, fibre and goodness. I mean it is still a cake and contains butter and sugar, BUT it is good to know it also contains fruits and nuts which are superfoods.
My Banana, Green Tea and Porridge Cake contains the following superfoods:
bananas – a great energy boosting food which contains potassium, which can help to regulate blood pressure.
eggs – packed full of protein, iron, B vitamins and folic
green tea – full of antioxidants and believed to have antibacterial and antiviral properties
pecans – packed with proteins and full of vitamin E
(information taken from The Superfood Kitchen by Parragon Books)
So now you know the benefits of eating this cake, here is how you can make it.
- 85ml olive oil
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 100g self raising flour
- 75g chopped pecans
- 100g sultanas
- 170ml green tea made using 1 tea bag and boiling water
- 1 pot of instant Moonflake porridge (or 40g oats)
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin
- Make up a cup of green tea - using 170ml boiling water
- Add to the instant porridge and stir and leave for a couple of minutes to thicken
- Place the sugar and oil in a bowl and beat together for a few minutes
- add the eggs and mashed banana and beat again for a few more minutes
- Fold in the flour
- Then add the sultanas and nuts and fold in
- Pour into the loaf tin and smooth over the top
- Bake in the oven for about an hour until risen and cooked all the way through
- Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out and slice when cold.
This cake was tasty and light despite containing porridge, and the addition of the nuts gave it some much needed texture. I am not sure if the green tea flavour is that prominent, but it certainly did not affect how delicious this was. The cake is sweet but not ‘too’ sweet as a normal cake. – if that makes sense!?Plus it is packed full of all those super foods I mentioned, so this would make for a handy snack, lunch box addition or maybe even breakfast for times when you need to grab a slice and go!
This cake is inspired by a recipe for a Banana, Goji and Hazelnut Bread as featured in The Superfood Kitchen by Parragon Books. I received this product from Parragon for free. They have not paid me for this review, and they do not exercise any editorial control over my review or anything else on this site.
The Moonflake Top instant porridge and Clipper Green Tea were sent to me as part of my monthly Degustabox UK delivery.