I appreciate that a joint of beef doesn’t take long to cook the conventional way in an oven. However, I like the fact that I can leave it cooking all day if I want to, while I am doing other things. I often put my beef in my slow cooker before breakfast on a Sunday morning for Sunday lunch. This means that I have a few hours, maybe all day, to enjoy time with my family. Allowing us to go out for a walk to work up an appetite, or to visit friends or family, before I need to return to the kitchen and get the vegetables cooked, and the slow cooker roast beef dished up.
Another great thing about cooking your beef in the slow cooker, is it also means that you can use cheaper cut of meat like brisket. This is because the slow cooker cooks it until it is tender and falling apart. Therefore, slow cooking your joint of beef is not only easy, but it can save you money too.
This method for slow cooker roast beef is my own recipe. It is a method I have been using for many years for my family. As a result I wanted to share it, because Sunday dinner can take time to make and prepare, so by slow cooking the meat the slow cooker is doing to hard work for you. This means less time in the kitchen and less washing up – all of which are big pros for making slow cooker roast beef for me!
Now my family prefer their slow cooker roast beef cooked well done, so this recipe is based on that cooking method. However, if you wanted it rarer I would suggest you cook it for less time. I have also cooked this on the high setting of my slow cooker for the purpose of this post. Therefore, if you were to want to cook your beef all day, then make sure you use the lowest cooking setting on your slow cooker.
How to make Slow Cooker Roast Beef
I usually use a joint of beef that weighs approx 1.5kg . If you use smaller or larger piece of beef, then you will need to reduce/increase the cooking times accordingly.
INGREDIENTS FOR SLOW COOKER ROAST BEEF
METHOD FOR SLOW COOKER ROAST BEEF part 1:
- take a clean work surface or board, and cover it with the thyme, some salt and some black pepper
rub your joint of beef with a little oil all over
roll the beef in the seasoning mix to cover it, as best you can
heat a frying pan on the hob/stove and add a little olive oil and garlic (optional)
flash fry each side of the joint to brown it and seal the juices
METHOD FOR SLOW COOKER ROAST BEEF part 2:
- chop the onion into quarters and roughly slice the carrots and place at the bottom of your slow cooker
- transfer the joint into your slow cooker and sit on top of the veg
- mix the oxo cube with the boiling water and add to the slow cooker
- put the lid on and put on lowest setting and thats it – for me, to make well done beef, I tend to leave it cooking for 6 hours approx
- when its cooked to your liking remove the beef and leave to rest.
- Mash the onions and carrots into the sauce left in the slow cooker. Then strain it smooth and lump free (I keep the lumpy bits to add to my leftover beef to make a cottage pie with)
- If you like a lot of gravy then you will need to make some more using gravy granules/instant gravy to add to the slow cooked one.
- Slice your beef once it has rested
- Serve your slow cooker roast beef with your sides, and delicious gravy, and enjoy.
MY OTHER SLOW COOKER MEAT RECIPES
You might also like to read these slow cooker recipes which I make using my slow cooker:
For more tips on healthy ways to eat your food, check out this article.