These Barbecue Salmon Rainbow Kebabs featuring Newman’s Own Original Sticky BBQ Sauce, are a colourful and delicious way of serving something a little bit different on the BBQ this summer to your family and friends.
With summer on the horizon, warmer weather on the way and longer evenings approaching, it is time to get out the BBQ and start some alfresco dining with family and friends. Newman’s Own Original Sticky BBQ sauce is perfect for adding some tang to barbecue food. It’s great to use when marinating meat, vegetables and fish as everything you need is in one bottle. No need to search the cupboards for spices, oils, herbs etc. to mix together and make a tasty marinade, as you can just open up a bottle of Newman’s Own and pour over instead.
National BBQ Week is taking place 29th May – 4th June 2017 and in light of celebrating the glory of the BBQ, I thought I would share a new recipe with you for Barbecue Salmon Rainbow Kebabs using Newman’s Own Original Sticky BBQ sauce. It is a very easy recipe to recreate and doesn’t take long to cook on the BBQ either – perfect for hungry tums!
Firstly, you need to marinade your salmon. Ideally you could do this a few hours in advance, cover and leave in the fridge to allow the fish to take on the sweet, smokey barbecue flavours, but if you do end up making these at the last minute, then half an hour would work too.
I like to add some colour to these kebabs, so I thread pieces of red onion, red and yellow peppers and some mushrooms onto my skewers. Once the BBQ is up to temperature, cook the kebabs for about 8 minutes on each side
You want the salmon to be sticky on the outside, but beautifully soft on the inside.
You can eat the Barbecue Salmon Rainbow Kebabs with some salad, new potatoes and corn on the cob.
My family enjoy eating their kebabs in a pitta bread with some salad and an extra drizzle of Newman’s Own sauce over the top.
Delicious! Plus, the colours in the meal makes it look so appealing, and calling them rainbow kebabs is likely to encourage children to eat them too.
Salmon on the BBQ makes a lovely change from the usual burgers and sausages and the fish works really well with a tangy sauce such as Newman’s Own Sticky BBQ Sauce. This may sound like an unusual pairing, but trust me, the flavours work really nicely together and barbecue salmon is our new BBQ favourite!
Here is how to make these fun Barbecue Salmon Rainbow Kebabs
- 2 salmon fillets (approx 300g) , cut into bite sized chunks (you want to end up with 12 pieces in total)
- 1 red pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 red onions, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 medium sized closed cup mushrooms, each one cut in half
- 1 bottle of Newman's Own Original Sticky BBQ Sauce
- 4 pitta breads
- lettuce (60g pack from the supermarket)
- MARINADE YOUR SALMON
- (Ideally do this at least 30 minutes before you need to assemble your kebabs, if you have time it is even better to do this the night before to allow the fish to marinade for longer and soak up the BBQ sauce flavours)
- Place the salmon chunks into a zip locked plastic bag or large bowl, pour over the Newman's Own Original Sticky BBQ Sauce , give it a mix with a spoon, cover ands place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (no more than 24 hours)
- ASSEMBLE YOUR KEBABS
- Take 4 skewers and thread the vegetables and salmon on to them
- Place them onto a plate ready to be cooked on the BBQ
- PREPARING YOUR BBQ
- Ensure your BBQ grill was scrapped well before adding the kebabs to avoid the fish sticking to it
- COOKING THE KEBABS
- Once your BBQ is up to temperature, place the kebabs onto the grill and turn occasionally,. I suggest that you should cook them on each side for 5-8 minutes on each side, depending how big your salmon chunks are and how you like your salmon to be cooked
- Once the salmon is cooked, remove your kebabs and serve. We enjoy ours served inside a warm pitta bread (toasted on the BBQ for approx 2 minutes on each side), with some lettuce and a little extra drizzle of Newman's Own Original Sticky BBQ Sauce.
For cooking purposes, you may find the best pellet smoker reviews at Fireplace Lab
My Top 5 Tips for perfect marinating this summer with Newman’s Own Sticky BBQ Sauce
- Always have a bottle of Newman’s Own Original Sticky BBQ sauce in your kitchen cupboard, ready to use when you need it.
- Always ensure that the vegetables and meat are cut into equal sized pieces – this will ensure that the BBQ cooking time will be the same for each element of the kebabs
- When marinating, aim to let the meat/fish rest in your marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes and if you can, marinade overnight.
- If you want to ensure your meat/fish gets a consistent and even smothering, a clever way to do this is by placing the meat/fish into a plastic freezer zip lock bag, pour in your Newman’s Own Original Sticky BBQ Sauce and give it a good shake. (This also saves on washing up!)
- If you choose to use wooden skewers when doing kebabs, a good tip is to soak them before you assemble the kebabs to avoid them burning or catching fire on the BBQ.
Pin for later x
This post was written in collaboration with Newman’s Own Original Sticky BBQ Sauce, and the recipe was created as part of this.