This Jammie Dodgers Traybake Cake is a very simple cake to make. A vanilla sponge containing freeze dried raspberries and raspberry jam, topped with the classic jammy Dodger biscuits this cake would be great for bake sales and coffee mornings.
I have seen a few recipes recently using Jammie Dodger biscuits and it got me thinking that I would like to create one of my own. Therefore, over the weekend, as half term drew to an end, my youngest son and I did a spot of baking and this Jammie Dodgers Traybake Cake was made.
It is by no means a fancy recipe , it is essentially a cake topped with Jammie Dodger biscuits. That is it really, I just thought having some chewy, jammy toppers on a vanilla and raspberry flavoured sponge cake would be rather nice.
Jenson, my youngest, was not entirely convinced to begin with. Instead, he wanted me to make a classic Victoria sponge and not bother with the Jammie Dodgers at all. It was up to me to prove him wrong and show him that a cake such as this would work and taste delicious.
The cake batter is very similar to a Victoria sponge one, the only difference is that I added some freeze dried raspberries ad some raspberry jam to the mix. Plus of course, adding the biscuits to the cake batter before it is baked.
However, the proof is in the pudding and this cake is lovely. Jenson agreed although he prefers a Victoria Sponge , mainly due in part to the fact that has a buttercream and jam filling!
The jam did sink to the bottom of the cake, but it meant that the cake had lovely squidgy bursts of jammyness as you eat it. The freeze dried raspberries add texture .The best bit of course, is biting into the jammy Dodger topper – mmmm! It adds a yummy finishing touch.
Here is the recipe:
Jammie Dodgers Traybake Recipe
- 200g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract /essence
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tube (6g) of freeze dried raspberries
- 1 tbsp raspberry jam
- 9 Jammie Dodger biscuits
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- Grease and line a 9 inch square tin
- In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar until pale and smooth
- Add the eggs ad the vanilla extract and beat well
- Fold in the flour
- Stir through the freezer dried raspberries.
- Then slowly and lightly fold the jam into the cake batter to make a swirl - you do not eat to mix it in completely
- Pour into your prepared cake tin
- Top with the 9 Jammie Dodgers
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden and cooled right through
- Once cold, remove from your tin and cut into squares - they are big pieces but worth it!
Pin for later x
Other recipes featuring Jammy Dodgers :