This Golden Sparkle Chocolate Cake is the perfect cake to serve at a birthday celebration or special anniversary. It is very easy to make but looks amazing, and as if you have taken ages to create it.
I made this cake for my good friend Ali, who I have known for a couple of years now through school, as both her children are in the same class as my boys. She is turning 40 tomorrow, and to cheer her up at the prospect of joining the 40’s club, I thought a cake would do the job and, after all, you have to have a cake on your birthday – it is the law!
So knowing her love of cake and chocolate and all things gold and sparkly, I decided to create this cake for her – kind of made up but actually I am really happy with how it has turned out.
It is a chocolate sponge, covered with chocolate cream cheese frosting, topped with white chocolate and then I added 2 bars of Galaxy chocolate, some Galaxy Golden Eggs , a Curly Curly, Maltesers, some Mr Kipling chocolate Fondant Fancies and some Ferrero Rocher. Then I sprayed it all with some edible gold glitter spray for that extra finishing touch and sparkle.
I popped it over to her tonight so she would have it ready for breakfast (LOL!) or elevenses or whenever, although knowing Ali I will be surprised if it makes it until tomorrow without being eaten ha ha!
Here is the recipe :
- *For the Cake*
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 150g self raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- *For the Frosting*
- 300g full fat cream cheese
- ¾ of a 400g jar of chocolate spread
- *For the Decoration* - you can use any chocolate your like, but I used the following
- 175g white chocolate
- 3 Mr Kipling Fondant Fancies
- Galaxy Chocolate
- Curly Curly
- Galaxy Golden Eggs
- Ferrero Rocher
- Edible gold glitter spray
- pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- grease and line 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins
- cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes until pale and soft
- add the eggs and a spoonful of the flour and beat for a few more minutes
- fold in the remaining flour and the cocoa powder
- divide the batter between the two tins and then cook in the oven for 22-25 minutes approx
- leave the cakes to cool
- once the sponges are cold to the touch, make your frosting by beating the cream cheese and chocolate spread together
- place your cake onto your plate or board
- sandwich the two sponges together with some of the frosting
- then cover the cake with more frosting - I kept back about 2 tbsp which I out in a piping bag and used to decorate the cake around the bottom (optional)
- Chill the cake for about 30-60m mins if you have time
- Melt the white chocolate and then pour onto the top of the cake
- then add your chocolates and cake as per my photos if you like
- finally spray with the edible glitter spray
- Keep in a cool place especially if you are making this in the summer!
Happy 40th Ali!
Linking this up to: