I had an abundance of apples in my fruit bowl over the weekend, which makes a change from the over ripe bananas that I usually have inside it! Therefore, naturally an apple cake was on the cards for this weeks playgroup cake.
I figured that an apple cake would also make a lovely change for the playgroup who I bake for twice a week, as they often have banana loaves! (Not that they mind, apparently!).
I found some squidgy raspberries in the fridge so thought that they would go with the well with the apples, to add a touch of tartness and little bursts of moistness. I also had some desiccated coconut lurking in my cupboard, so I decided to add some of that to the cake in place of almonds.
This was an easy cake to make – after all it is the oven that did all the hard work as it does take a while to bake. However, I can assure you that it is well worth the wait, because it was light and tangy and delicious!
So if you fancy having a go at making this, then here is my recipe for this Apple, Raspberry and Coconut Cake
- 150g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g self-raising flour
- 25 desiccated coconut + extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200g eating apples, peeled and cored and thickly sliced
- 12-15 raspberries approx
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan.
- Grease and line a deep 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes until pale and creamy
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat for a few minutesAdd the flour, coconut and baking powder and mix well to combine
- Spread half of the cake batter into the prepared tin.
- Lay the apple slices on top of the cake batter in the tin, and scatter the raspberries over them
- Pour the rest of the cake batter over the fruit and carefully spread over to cover
- Sprinkle with some more desiccated coconut
- Bake in the oven for 1¼-1½ hours until golden and cooked all the way through
- Allow to cool before removing from the tin
Perfect served with a cup of tea, and probably a dollop of cream on the side if you have some!
Playgroup loved it too, so yay!
Linking up to:
Hosted this week by Sarah