I was recently sent a very generous and not at all helpful in my quest to lose weight and lead a healthier diet, box filled with some delicious Thorntons chocolates and sweets.
I felt that a review of what I thought of the chocolates was not very exciting and to be honest what is not to like about Thorntons confectionary? Therefore, I decided to be inspired by my goodies and bake a cake instead. (Yes I know, a cake is also not very diet friendly either – sssssshhh!!)
I made a Toffee Apple Fudge Cake which contained both the Thorntons fudge and toffee and to ease my guilt and make the cake 1 of my 5-a-day, I added some apple to combat the sweetness. Be prepared for a cake of pure naughtiness but ever so niceness
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 eating apples, grated
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100g Thorntons Vanilla Fudge
- 100g Thorntons Special Toffee
- 1 heaped tsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ tub of ready made vanilla buttercream - I used the Morrisons own brand which was really nice and actually bettet than Betty Crockers, in my opinion.
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- Grease and line 2 x 8 inch baking tins with parchment paper
- Cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes until pale and soft
- Add the eggs, 1 tbsp of the flour and the vanilla extract and beat for a couple of minutes
- Fold in the all but 1 tbsp of the flour and then stir in the grated apple
- Chop the fudge up and coat it in the remaining flour and then add it to the cake batter
- Divide the batter between the two tins and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked all the way through
- Once cool, carefully remove from the tins - you may well find that the fudge has melted through the cake onto the parchment paper. If so, just scrape up and add back to the gaps in the sponges! No one will know once the cake has been assembled.
- When the sponges are completely cooled down, sandwich them together with the buttercream
- Then to make the toffee sauce for the cake, simply place the milk, toffee and butter in a non stick pan over a moderate heat, and allow it all to melt together to make a sauce. You will need to stir a lot to break the toffee pieces down
- Allow to cool for literally a couple of minutes and then spoon on to the cake - it will drip down the cake but I think as it tastes so delicious this really does not matter.
Oh my goodness this cake is scrumptious! Seriously, the sponge has gooey and slightly chewy bits from the cooked fudge, which goes so well with the apple, which also makes the sponge moist and yet it is alos so light . Then the vanilla buttercream and toffee sauce just go together so well too and the whole cake is just – mmmmmmm! It is really very, very nice!!
Yummy! I urge you to try it – go on, you know you want to!
**I was sent some Thorntons goodies to help promote them as gifts for Father’s Day. I know that my Dad, my Step Dad, OH’s Dad and my OH himself, also a Dad of course, would be more than happy to recieve some Thorntons loveliness this Father’s Day (which is next Sunday,15th June). Check out the Thorntons webiste for more information http://www.thorntons.co.uk and their special offers for this weekend.**