I love millionnaires shortbread – it is one of those almost illicit cakes that I dare not eat, because of how naughty and of course calorific it is. It is on a par with rocky road I think, in how much I love eating it. It just makes me go mmmmmm and ooooooh as I tuck into a slice!
I have never made millionnaires shortbread before though, because of the faff of having to make my own toffee layer, BUT having made my Toffee Apple Fudge Cake a few months ago, I realised that by melting a pack of Thorntons Special Toffee, I could make a toffee sauce in about 5 minutes!!! So I decided to make a cheats version – a VERY easy version – of a Toffee Millionnaires Shortbread, where instead of making my own shortbread I made a digestive biscuit base as I would for a cheesecake. Here is how I made it.
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 packet of Thornton's Special Toffee
- 25ml milk
- 150g milk chocolate
- Grease and line a brownie tin
- Crush/bash/whizz (depending on how you make your biscuits into crumbs!) the biscuits into course crumbs
- Melt the butter and then stir in the biscuit crumbs
- Pour the crumbs into the base of your tin and press down
- Leave to cool
- Place the toffee into a non stick pan over a medium heat to melt it
- As it starts to melt add the milk and stir to make a runny toffee sauce
- Once the toffee is melted , pour over the biscuit base and leave to set
- Once the toffee has set, place in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill
- Melt the chocolate and then pour over the toffee and leave somewhere cool to set
- Once the chocolate is set, return to the fridge for a couple of hours before cutting into squares
- Keep in an airtight container ina cold place when not being used
Mmmmmmm oh my word this was amazing – I tried a small piece and I LOVED it! The rest went to playgroup and it all went! This is such a fast and easy way to make a very enjoyable and delicious version of a millionnaires shortbread – why not give it a go yourself?
I was sent a Thorntons Family Feast Christmas Hamper to review which would make a perfect gift this Christmas to some special family members or friends. Filled with so many yummy chocolates and toffees, I am spoilt for choice! I was also impressed with the chocolate santa and the fact that it is encased in a card wrapper to prevent it from getting smashed in transit. I will enjoy trying these over the coming weeks!!!