Paw Patrol, Paw Patrol we’ll be there on the double…….
Aaaaargh! I know that theme song and all the show’s characters off by heart now, thanks to Burton and Jenson being big fans of it and because, of course as with all kids TV shows, the theme song is so catchy and stays in my head all day!!!!
Anyway, you may recall that it was Jenson’s birthday last month and for his actual birthday he requested a cake which was rainbow inside and covered in sweets and biscuits on the outside. However, for his birthday party he really wanted a Paw Patrol cake and so I did what I was asked!
There are of course an array of amazing Paw Patrol cakes on the internet (I know this because I spent a lot of time looking!), and so many of them were too good to even try to replicate. So in my usual Mummy Mishaps way, I made my own version in as easy to make way that I could while, I hope, it still looks like a Paw Patrol cake!!
The inside of the cake was made up of 3 rainbow coloured sponges, spilt into 6 sponges, layered with a vanilla buttercream and then decorated in Smarties – the colours of the Paw Patrol pups: green, yellow, red, pink, red, blue and orange. I also purchased some little figurines (much easier than trying to make my own from fondant!!) and an edible Paw Patrol logo from e-bay to make it more obvious what the cake was themed by!
It is a simple enough cake to make and decorate, but it tasted lovely and Jenson LOVED it and also loved the fact that he got to keep the Paw Patrol characters afterwards to play with! It was also big enough to be cut into 30 pieces for party bags and relatives.
Here is the recipe:
- 300g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 300g self raising flour
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- Tubes of Dr.Oetker liquid food gel colouring in the following colours: yellow, red, pink, green, blue and orange
- 2 tubs of Betty Crocker vanilla buttercream
- Lots of Smarties - approx 12 tubes
- Paw Patrol cake topper figurines and rice paper cake Paw patrol logo (I got mine from e-bay)
- Grease and line 3 x 8 inch cake tins
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- Beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until light and creamy
- Add the eggs, the vanilla extract/essence and a spoonful of flour and beat again for a few more minutes
- Fold in the flour until combined
- Divide the batter equally into 6 bowls and add each food colouring gel (all of it) to each bowl and stir well
- Place each colour into each tin, ensuring you place equal spoonfuls into each one
- Bake in the oven for approx 23- 25 minutes or until cooked right through
- While your sponges are cooking, you need to sort the Smarties into their different colours although you only need green, red, pink, blue, orange and yellow (no browns or purples!)
- Leave to cool before carefully removing each sponge from the tins
- When you are ready to assemble your cake, carefully cut each sponge into two so you end up with 6 thin sponges in total.
- Sandwich the 6 sponges together using the butter cream. The cover the top and the outside of the cake with some more - spread on and then go over with a palette knife to smooth it
- Working quickly, cover your cake with Smarties as shown in my photos
- Then place your Paw Patrol characters and rice paper logo on the top and around the side of the cake - again see photos.
- Keep in the fridge until about 30 minutes before you are ready to serve it.