I don’t know about you, but there are some days when I have not planned what we will be eating for tea. I go into the kitchen about half an hour before I know the boys will be asking me where their tea is because they are hungry, and frantically search the fridge and cupboards trying to think up something tasty that they will both like. Last night was such a night, and so in the end I decided t make some homemade pizzas, but as I did not have any muffins or flatbread to hand in my cupboards, I found a recipe for some mini damper bread rolls and thought they looked a bit like english muffins, and would therefore make a great base for child size pizzas. The damper rolls only take about 10 minutes to make anyway, and by the time the topping is on them and they are cooked in the oven and transformed into mini pizzas, the whole process takes about 25 minutes – perfect timing I would say! Especially because right on cue, a certain Master Jenson appeared just as the pizzas were removed from the oven, telling me he was huuungry!
So here is my recipe for Mini Damper Roll Pizzas, adapting a recipe I found for mini damper rolls (see below for more details)
- 150g self riaisng flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 85ml milk
- oil to grease
- tomato puree
- garlic puree
- dried basil
- grated cheese
- toppings of your choice (we used ham and baked beans)
- Place the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and into the middle pour in the honey and milk
- Combine the ingredients with a knife until a dough is formed
- Make 4 roll shapes and flatten slightly
- Lightly grease a non stick pan and cook the rolls ober a mdoerate heat , turning frequently to avoid burning them
- After about 10 minutes, a crust should have formed and when you tap it, if it is hollow sounding then they are cooked. You want them so that the centre is just cooked.
- Now you can eat them as they are with butter and jam, or maybe some cheese but i made mine into pizzas,
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- Slice each roll in half and placed onto a baking tray
- Mix together some tomato and garlic purees and some basil, and use this as your sauce for the pizzas
- Top with ham or whatever topping you wish, or maybe none at all, and then add some grated cheese
- Place in the oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is all melted and bubbly
- Serve and enjoy
These little pizzas were lovely and the perfect size for Burton and Jenson, and the roll itself was really nice. I will definately make these again because it took no time really, and homemade bases are better really.
My recipe was adpated from Mini Damper Bread Rolls featured in The Camping Cookbook,
a brilliant camping cooking bible with some womderful recipes in. With more than 70 camping recipes included, this book is brilliant value and a must have for your camping trip menu. Obviously, these damper bread rolls are designed to cook over a camping stove or a BBQ but they worked well at home in my non stick pan on my hob.
I was sent a copy of this book to review as part of my Parragon Book Buddy role.