This easy Sausage & Butternut Squash Pasta Traybake is perfect for a mid week meal for the family, packed full of flavour and veggies, pasta and dough balls, this dish can all be cooked in the oven.
I love easy cooking and when you are busy during the week, you want meals for your family which are quick and easy to make. that taste great, and with as little preparation and washing up as possible. I cook sausages at least once a week for the boys because they love them, and since HECK introduced their Chicken Italia sausages, with are gluten free and , if like me you are following a low fat eating plan, perfect for those of us watching our weight. Plus packed full of flavour.
Luckily for me I was sent a hamper of delicious HECK products to try, which pleased me greatly as they are one my favourite brands for sausages and burgers. The trouble is, the supermarkets in my area do not stock many of their range, so it was a treat being sent some new items to taste.
The boys LOVE the burgers and I love that they are made with a high beef content (97%) and I trust the Heck name for quality, so am more than happy to feed their meat, and non meat, products to my family.
I wanted to share a recipe which incorporated the HECK Chicken Italia sausages into a mid week meal perfect for all the family after a busy day. It is a traybake meal so that means minimal washing up and cooking involved – yay!
We enjoy garlic bread or dough balls with our pasta, so to be different I added these to the baking dish.
We ate it with a green salad, well when I say ‘we’ I actually mean ‘me’ as the boys don’t like salad, so they had peas with theirs.
It was so quick and easy to make, that I actually made a video showing how I made this dish which you can see here
Here is the full recipe for my Sausage & Butternut Squash Pasta Traybake:
- 1 packet of Heck Chicken Italia sausages (cut into quarters)
- 1 onion, diced
- I small butternut squash, cubed (I used crinkle cut ones which were prepared and reduced from Sainsbury's)
- 1 x 400g tin of cherry tomatoes (plus a little extra water to wash out the tin with)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (I used one with added chili but thats optional)
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp each of them, oregano and basil
- black pepper
- enough cooked pasta for 4 people
- 1 packet of garlic dough balls (or you could use garlic bread slices)
- 50g grated cheese
- Pre heat the oven to 200oC / 180oC (fan)
- Place everything but the sausages and pasta on to large, deep ish non stick baking dish/tray and mix well
- Add the sausages and then drizzle the oil over the top
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions the pack - be careful not to overcook it as you don't want it floppy!
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, shaking the tray once half way through cooking
- Remove from the oven and add the pasta and stir well
- Top with the garlic dough balls/garlic bread and then top with some grated cheese
- Return to the oven for another 8-10 minutes (as long as the bread takes to bake)
- Serve with a nice green salad.
You could of course use any sausage – pork or even vegetarian ones.