This colourful Banana Funfetti Traybake is a fun and easy way of using up any over ripe bananas you might have isn your kitchen.
You may have noticed that I have been a little quiet on the blogging front this month. It is simply because I have been taking an impromptu break while the boys have been off school, so that I can enjoy my time with them. Of course this is not always the case with the bickering , moaning and shouting that goes on – and that is just me LOL! Seriously though, the 4 weeks we have had have flown by, and with less than 2 weeks to go now until the new school year begins, I have not been in a hurry to get back to blogging.
However, since I returned from my holiday a couple of weeks ago, I have been busy baking to give me a head start once my blogging mojo returns and the school week does. Hence, I decided that with the weather being a bit ‘meh’ today, and while the boys are busy playing upstairs, I would get a recipe posted.
This Banana Funfetti Traybake was a spur of the moment bake last week the I had some over ripe bananas to use up. Completely made up with regards to its ‘funfetti’ part, when I featured a photo of this traybake on my instagram it was really well received and despite having only taken one photo of it with my phone, I thought I would write a blog post around it anyway. After all, less is more so maybe a single photo is just enough sometimes.
Here is the recipe:
- 200ml olive oil
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 200g self raising flour
- 2 over ripe bananas, mashed
- edible sprinkles
- 150g milk chocolate
- edible sprinkles
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
- Grease and line a brownie tin (approx 20cm x 20cm square)
- Beat the oil and sugar together for a few minutes and then add the mashed banana and beat well for the same amount of time again
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and beat well.
- Beat in the flour and the bicarbonate of soda until the mixture is smooth and thick and then lightly stir in about ½ tub of the sprinkles
- Pour into your prepared cake tin
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes until cooked right through
- Once your cake is completely cold, remove and then top with the melted chocolate and more sprinkles.
- Leave to set in a. cool place and then cut into squares and enjoy.
- These will keep for up to 5 days in a cool place in a tub/tin with a lid.