This Easy Tomato Soup can be made using store cupboard ingredients and takes next to no time to cook. Low in sugar and high in veggie goodness, this soup is great for all the family.
Something I enjoy doing is creating quick and easy meals using up whatever I can find leftover in my fridge/freezer/store cupboard. This easy tomato soup is just that: a recipe made up almost on the spot, when I needed something tasty for lunch, but had not found the time to go shopping. Using a handful of ingredients which most of us would find in our kitchens, this homemade soup would make a delicious meal for all the family.
Until very recently my two boys would not eat soup. However, this all changed when one lunchtime their Dad and I were eating a bowl of Heinz tomato soup each, and I dared (yes, we have to play all sorts of games/challenges to get my fussy pair to try a new food!) them to dip their bread from their sandwiches into my soup to try it. Surprisingly, they both loved it and while I was chuffed that they did, I was also thinking I should have got them to try it before!
Anyway, this is still the only soup they will eat, but it is great because it is something I can always have on stand by because I always keep a few tins in my cupboard, and it is another food we can take with us on our camping trips. However, as with all pre made foods, as much as we love this soup it does contain quite a lot of sugar and so it is always good to make a homemade soup because then you know exactly what goes into it.
Hoping to try and replicate Heinz tomato soup as much as possible, I think this soup is not too far from it. I can say that with a certain degree of confidence, because my OH told me that had I not told him it was homemade he might have thought it was a ready made soup! The real proof though is whether or not my children can be fooled………guess what? They were.
Therefore, if you fancy knocking up a quick and easy batch of this tomato soup, here is how I made it. The ingredients can easily be swapped for their frozen/tinned/fresh alternatives very easily, and the great thing is this soup does not contain any added salt (asides from that in the stock) and only a tiny amount of sugar.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced (could use tinned or frozen)
- 2 medium potatoes ,peeled and finely diced (could use tinned)
- 1 large eating apple, finely diced
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped/whole plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic puree (or equivalent)
- 1 pint of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp sugar
- few good grinds of black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- melt the butter in a large non stick saucepan
- add the onions and over a low-medium heat, sauté for about 5 minutes until soft
- Next add the carrots, potatoes and apple and cook with the onion for another 5 minutes
- Then add the stock, tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, sugar and some black pepper ad stir well.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for approx 20-25 minutes until the veg is cooked.
- Blend the soup to make it lumpy free and add the milk and stir in.
- Serve and enjoy
Linking this to:
hosted by Jacqueline
hosted by Corina