This tasty Blueberry & Coconut Banana Bread is a great way of using up any over ripe bananas and squishy blueberries. It is so moist on the inside with a gorgeous golden crust on the outside. Delicious and dairy free too.
I do love trying to this up tasty new ways to bake with bananas. Which is just as well because there are always a few lurking in my fruit bowl that no one will eat because the skins have markings on! If you are a regular visitor to my blog, then you will know that I have many recipes that contain bananas and recently I made a delicious Raspberry and Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, so I decided to adapt it to make this tempting Blueberry & Coconut Banana Bread to share with you.
This bread / cake – I mean it looks like a bread but it tastes like a cake. What is that about? Anyway, I digressed, this recipe is actually based on a banana bread recipe from one of my Nigella cookbooks. However, she adds buttermilk or yogurt to her batter, whereas I did something a little different and added coconut milk, the type you get from a tin and use in curries. Also I use self raising flour instead of plain which saves having to add baking powder. I like to make my own stamp on a recipe and then it is easy to adapt and swap ingredients.
Not only is this recipe great for using up over ripe bananas, but it is also fab for using up any squishy berries that might be lurking in your fridge. In this instance I had some blueberries, but raspberries or strawberries would work, as would raisins or sultanas or even pineapple. Of course chocolate chips also work if you fancy not using as much fruit in your bread/ cake.
As well as using coconut milk, I decided to add some desiccated coconut to the recipe too and this worked really well. Then I included some cinnamon and a pinch of ginger (Nigella uses vanilla but I did to have any), and that was it really.
If you fancy giving this yummy Blueberry & Coconut Banana Bread a try yourself, then here is the recipe:
- 2 over ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 200ml coconut milk
- 125ml oil
- 275g self raising flour
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 150g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 50g fresh blueberries
- pre heat the oven to 160oC (fan) /180oC
- grease and line a 2lb loaf tin
- using a mixer, place the bananas into the bowl and let the paddle attachment mash it up
- add the eggs and beat well
- then add the coconut milk and the oil and beat the mixture well for a couple of minutes
- making sure that the mixer is on a low setting, gradually add all of the dry ingredients ensuring it is combined well
- now pour ⅓ of the batter into your prepared tin and scatter half the blueberries over the top, repeat with more batter and add the remaining blueberries and then add the final layer of cake batter.
- Bake inside the oven for approx 50-60 minutes until risen and cooked all the way through
- once your cake is cold to the touch, remove from your tin and enjoy
Hosted this month by Jo
Hosted this week by Eb