Mothering Sunday is fast approaching and I have no idea what I will be doing. It is funny really, because even though I am now a Mum, and am entitled to celebrate Mothers Day myself, I still think of it as a day to treat my Mum just as I did in the years before I became one! Last year Jenson had his birthday on Mothering Sunday and I was busy thinking about him, and organising and holding a party for him, so no ‘special’ day for me!! I am not complaining in the slightest, but it is just weird how I do not associate myself with mothers day!!
Still, Mother’s Day is another excuse to bake a cake and one that is always popular with the ladies in my family is a jam sponge cake. Based on the good ole Victoria Sponge, I recently made a ginger cake which I then sandwiched together with some scrumptious Duerr’s rhubarb & custard jam – a jam based on those old skool, retro sweets that I used to buy as a kid from my local sweet shoppe. Yum!
This is a very simple cake recipe that does not take long to make or assemble – maybe you should give it a go and make one for that special Mummy in your life (or maybe even yourself?).
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 1-2 tsp ground ginger (depending on how spicy you like it)
- rhubarb and custard jam
- Betty Crocker vanilla buttercream (in a tub)
- icing sugar for dusting
- pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- grease and line 2 x 8 inch cake tins
- cream the butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes until pale and soft
- add the eggs and a spoonful of the flour and beat well for another few minutes
- fold in the remaining flour and the ginger until mixed well
- divide the batter between the 2 cake tins
- bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked right through, golden brown and risen
- allow to cool
- once the sponges are cold, spread one half with the jam and the other with the buttercream and sandwich together
- dust with icing sugar before serving
So come on then, who is putting the kettle on while I dish up a slice?
Wishing all of you Mum’s (including my own xx) a happy mother’s day xx
I was sent a jar of Duerr’s rhubarb and custard jam for the purpose of a review. This jam is the UK’s first-ever jam for bakers , developed for domestic ovens, ensuring it retains its smooth and glossy consistency when heated. AND it tastes soooo good too. It is available to buy online and instore in Aldi later this month