With it being Shrove Tuesday next week, Warburtons sent me a Magic Pancake kit to suggest some weird and wonderful flavour combinations to try out on their ready to eat pancakes. The boys were thrilled that the box magically played music from Willy Wonka!
As you may be able to see from the image on the inside of the lid, the pancake topping ideas were very original and included a mix of sweet and savoury suggestions. Unfortunately, due to me being out last Friday when the kit was originally delivered and it then being taken away and not re-delivered until Monday I did not want to try some of the perishable flavours like the pancetta and feta cheese. However, I did try some with melted chocolate and coconut, and then melted chocolate, granola and greek style (fat free!) coconut yogurt. Very nice they were too as the pancakes only require a couple of minutes in the toaster to make them hot and ready to eat. Then to use up the remaining slightly out of date pancakes and some of the non perishable ingrdients I was sent I made a bread pudding but from pancakes and here is how I made it
- 300g Warburtons pancakes
- 175g mixed fruit
- Zest of 1 orange
- 25g dessicated coconut
- 50g brown sugar + 2 tbsp for the topping
- 1 egg, beaten
- 300ml milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp chocolate spread
- Line a 8 x 8 inch square baking tin
- Break up the pancakes into small pieces and place into a bowl
- Add the cocoa powder to the milk and pour over the pancake bits and stir
- Add all the other ingredients bar the extra sugar and stir
- Leave to stand for 15 minutes
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- After 15 minutes pour the mixture into the tin and then sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over the top
- Place in the oven and cook for about 50 minutes until set
- Allow to cool and then remove and cut into squares
- I then dusted mine with icing sugar
This is a great way of using up any stale american style pancakes like the Warburtons ones, and tastes just as good as the bread pudding that would normally be made in such a way.
Warburton’s are running a fun competition over on their facebook page where you could win £1000 worth of supermarket vouchers just by uploading a photo of your pancake and showing how you top it. But hurry you only have until March 3rd to enter your pancake photo.
I was sent a Warburtons Magic Pancake kit for the purpose of a review.