Sometimes I really fancy eating some cake, so I rumage through my fridge and cupboards to see what concoction I can come up with and normally there is something I can use to satisy my cake cravings! However, one flavour I never saw myself making are Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes – of course being British the ‘jelly’ part is just jam but even so it seems a very odd combination. I know from having seen US sitcoms that peanut butter and jam sandwiches are very popular, so I decided to give a cupcake version a try.
- *FOR THE CAKES*
- 100g self raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g peanut butter (I used crunchy but smooth would work too)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- *FOR THE FROSTING*
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- jelly beans for decoration (I used 3 per cake, but these are optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160C (fan)
- Line a cupcake tin with paper cases
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy
- Add the peanut butter and jam and beat well for about another minute
- Add the egg and a tbsp of flour and beat again
- Fold in the sifted flour and mix until just combined
- Divide the batter between the cases
- Cook in the oven for 20-22 minutes
- Allow to cool
- Then make the frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese, peanut butter and jam until smooth and place into a piping bag
- Once the cakes have cooled down, pipe the frosting onto each cake and then top with some jelly beans (optional)
They actuallty taste nice! I am not sure what my family will make of them but I have to admit that the combination, as odd as it sounds, really does work!
This recipe was inspired by one I found for Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes in a lovely little cupcake recipe book I was sent to review from Paragon Books.
This book is packed full with so many cupcake recipes and most of them are quote quirky and unusual which makes a change to see. Some do require quite a bit of effort to make, but for a birthday party or special occasion that extra bit of effort never goes unnoticed when marvellous cupcakes are presented to people. The book contains lots of photographs of the finished cupcakes (a plus point from me) and I really like the book dividers on the outer edge of the book depicted in cupcakes! Genius! And there are plenty of cupcake catergories to choose from too, so surely a cake to suit everyone?
Make Bake Cupcake The Recipe Book is available to buy now and would make a perfect gift for any cupcake baking fan.
Disclaimer: I was sent a copy of this book for the purpose of this rather over due review (oops!). All comments made are my own and honest and the recipe featured is my own , having taken inspiration from the book and using what ingredients I could cobble together!