Along with bananas, I often have other fruit that needs using up as it starts to over ripen and rather than waste it by throwing them in the bin, I make cakes of course 🙂 Sometimes when I buy blueberries for Jenson he starts off enjoying them, but then suddenly announces he doesnt like them anymore – grrrrrrr! Therefore, I am often left thinking up recipes that involve those small blue berries.
I decided to incorporate them into a loaf cake and to add some texture to it I decided to sprinkle some granola cereal across the top of the cake before it was cooked, as I had some in my cupboard. This proved to work very well and so here is how I made my Blueberry and Granola Loaf Cake.
- 250g self raising flour
- 115g unsalted butter at room temp
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g lemon or vanilla yogurt
- 25g granola
- 200g blueberries
- pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160 oC (fan)
- grease and line a 1lb loaf tin
- cream together the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until pale and creamy
- meanwhile take a spoonful of the flour and in a bowl cover the blueberries with it - this will hopefully prevent the berries from sinking into the bottom of the cake as it is cooking
- add the eggs and a spoonful of the flour and beat the mixture for a couple of minutes
- Add the remaining flour, and the yogurt and mix until combined - being careful not to over do it
- Then lightly fold in the blueberries
- Pour into the loaf tin and smooth over the top
- scatter the granola over the top
- Cook for about 45 - 50 minutes until risen, golden and cooked right through
- Allow to cool and then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack
- Enjoy with a hot cup of tea
Ths would work equally aswell with other berries such as raspberries or blackberies and is always a great way of using fruit which is starting to go a bit squishy!! And goes down very well with a good cup of tea!