Realising I had almost all the ingredients in my kitchen to make a soup I found in one of my recipe books, I decided to have a go at making something new but making it in my slow cooker instead so allow me to …..well….be lazy I guess as a slow cooker means I can let that do all the hard work instead of me! This is a soup I have never tried before, Sweet Potato and Apple and here is how I made it
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, washed & chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 eating apples, peeled and chopped
- 1½ pints of veg or chicken stock
- 1 /2 tsp nutmeg
- ½ glass of apple juice
- black pepper to season (and salt if you use it)
- Place all of the ingredients in to a slow cooker
- Cover with the lid and cook for one of the following:
- *On low over night/all day (which is what I did)
- *On high for 4-6 hours
- Once all the vegetables are soft, place the soup in a blender and whizz to make a smooth soup
- Serve and enjoy.
I have to be honest, it is not a soup I would make again. It was ok but maybe a little too sweet for me which I did not really like in a soup. Myabe it was because I chose to make it in the slow cooker instead of in a pan on the hob where the veg is sauted which does add flavour?? However, if you are a fan of these flavours then it is an easy and frugal (not to mention very healthy and nutritious) meal. And besides, it is still good to try new things and a new recipe!
which is full of some great looking vegetarian recipes.
I am linking this up to