These cute Jack o’ Lantern inspired Candy Filled Pumpkin Cakes are chocolate cakes that are baked inside orange cases! Perfect for some Halloween fun.
Halloween is a great opportunity to get creative in the kitchen and bake some fun cakes and party food. I have wondered for a while if it were possible to bake a cake in an orange and I thought that Halloween would be a perfect time to test this theory as the oranges could look a bit pumpkinish and would be fun for parties.
It is important to remove all the juice and flesh from the inside of the oranges other wise itmakes for bitter cakes that are too soggy!!! Also if you are creative at decorating the oranges after baking you can make pumpkin faces – I didn’t so I used pic monkey editing to make my spook-tacular pumpkin faces!
So if you fancy making these fun Candy Fillled Pumpkin Cakes then here is how you do it.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g self raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 8 small oranges
- candy of your choice - I used chocolate coloured beans
- lots of imagination!!!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC / 160o C (fan)
- Remove the tops of the oranges and remove all of the pulp and pith and all the juice from all of the oranges - otherwise they will make the cakes too wet
- Once this has been done cast aside the juice (I made some jelly with mine!)
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy - about 2 -3 miniutes
- Add the eggs and beat again
- Add the sifted flour and cocoa powder and fold in until just combined
- Stand the hollow oranges in a muffin tin and then divde the batter between them - you want to fill each orange just over half way
- Place the orange filled cups into the oven and cook for about 25-30 minutes until the cakes are cooked right through
- Once cooled, if you are clever enough feel free to decorate your pumpkin oranges with a spooky face
- Also make a hole inside each cake and then fill with your chosen sweets
- Place the lid on top and they are ready to serve - i reccomend using a teaspoon to eat them with
- Please note - they will taste orangey
- Will keep until the next day but best eaten on the day they are made