These Gluten Free, Dairy Free Polenta Pancakes are lovely and fluffy and easy to make and are covered with a dairy free salted caramel sauce, and topped with some gluten and dairy free chocolate covered banana chips.
With pancake day almost upon us, I thought I would have a go at making pancakes which were a lot less fussy and fancy than the Unicorn Pancakes I featured on my blog earlier this week. I also thought it would be nice to make some healthier ones which were gluten and dairy free.
I still had some polenta in my cupboard leftover from when I made my Chocolate Orange Drizzle Polenta Cake , so I wondered if it were possible to make pancakes using this in place of flour.
Guess what? It is possible and although the batter is very claggy and a little tricky to work with, the resulting pancakes were fluffy and light and quite tasty actually. I added some dairy free Koko milk to the batter which is why these are also dairy free, and I also used the Koko to make a salted caramel sauce to pour over these pancakes.
I added some vegan (also GF and DF) chocolate coated banana chips too, as I had been sent some in my Degustabox this month (along with the Koko) and thought they might be nice served with the pancakes. Equally, sliced fresh banana would also work and be delicious.
Here are the naked pancakes before the sauce was added
They were fairly easy to make and it is always pleasing when a baking experiment works – which these pancakes definitely were!
I made the pancakes on a Breville Crepe Maker (review can be found here ) but of course they can be made in a good non stick frying pan.
With regards to the dairy free salted caramel sauce, as a rule this should be made using double cream, so by using there Koko milk it was not as thick or rich as it could be, but it still tasted lovely.
Here is the recipe for these Gluten Free, Dairy Free Polenta Pancakes
- *For then pancakes*
- 1 cup of polenta (235g)
- 1.5 cups of Koko Dairy Free coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- Frylight or a little oil
- *For the salted caramel sauce*
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 50ml Koko Dairy Free coconut milk
- pinch of sea salt
- *For the Pancakes*
- I used my Breville Crepe maker - but if you do not have one of these, then use a non stick frying pan on the hob instead
- To make the batter:
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks, and place the yolks into a large mixing bowl and the whites into a clean bowl and whisk until stiff peaks are formed
- In to the egg yolks, add the polenta, vanilla, baking powder and Koko and beat well to make a batter - be warned, the mixture will be quite thick and claggy
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the egg whites as lightly as you can
- Take your pancake pan (or in my case crepe maker) and wipe with a little oil to make the base even more non stick
- Using a table spoon, place spoonfuls of the mixture onto the pan, and spread out a little if you are able to, and cook own each side until golden and cooked (approx 60-90 secs both side depending on the thickness)
- You should get at least 6 pancakes
- Stack them up onto a plate
- Then pour over your salted caramel sauce:
- *For the Salted Dairy Free Caramel sauce *
- Put the sugar and salt into a heavy-based saucepan ,
- Add the water and then place over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Then increase the heat and bubble for 3-4 mins until you have caramel. Take care not to burn the sauce!
- Remove from the heat, and pour into a large pyrex bowl (for safety reasons and to stop the sauce form continuing to cook)
- VERY carefully stir in the Koko milk
- Leave the sauce to cool, and then pour over your pancakes and add some chocolate coated banana chips, if you wish or fresh banana slices would be delicious too.
I was sent a Degustabox Uk as part of my on going role as a reviewer.