This Chocolate & Peanut Butter Mini Doughnut Cake was another one of my madcap concoctions when I was messing around in the kitchen. I had been sent my new Bake Box subscription box to review and from the products inside it I decided to make some mini doughnuts, as they are something I had never attempted before.
When I say doughnuts, they are baked in the oven like cupcakes inside little moulds but they look like mini ring doughnuts when cooked and decorated, and they are delicious dipped into a frothy coffee as a little cheeky elevenses snack!
I made a video showing the contents of my Bake Box 5 as a review
However, I did not want too stop there – oh no! My friend Lisa had just celebrated a birthday, so I deiced to make her a birthday cake using these little doughnuts as decoration. Seeing as though the doughnuts were flavoured with chocolate and peanut butter, I made a simple loaf cake using the same flavours, and topped it with some chocolate and peanut butter icing and then stuck the doughnuts in with some sprinkles, because if you cannot have sprinkles on a birthday cake then when can you?!
It was a kind of odd looking cake, delicious looking for sure but kind of thrown together. So I added a photo on Instagram, which always gives me an indication as to how good a bake of mine is, and it has had the most likes a cake of mine, indeed any IG photo of mine, has ever received! (not quite 100 but 98 so very pleased about that!).
So my hybrid cake was a hit 🙂 both with my IG followers and with my friend, so here is the recipe for it should anyone out there fancy making it themselves.
- *For the mini doughnuts - makes 24*
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 65g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- *For the loaf cake*
- 115g peanut butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 100g yogurt - I used Mullerlight peanut and caramel but a natural or toffee yogurt would be fine too
- *For the chocolate & peanut butter icing*
- 250g milk chocolate melted
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- edible sprinkles
- *to make the doughnuts*
- pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan) and lay the doughnut silicon mould on a being tray
- beat the peanut butter and sugar together
- add the egg and beat again
- fold in the flour and cocoa powder and beat well
- add the batter to the moulds (you will need to use the mould twice) carefully!
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until risen and firm to the touch
- repeat for the remaining batter
- Once cooked, use the end of a wooden spoon and dip it into the centre of each doughnut to open up the ring
- Once cooked, carefully remove form the mould
- Melt 100g of the chocolate and then stir in ½ tbsp peanut butter Dip each doughnut into the melted chocolate mixture to cover each top
- then add some sprinkles
- leave to one side while you make the cake
- *to make the loaf cake*
- pre heat the oven to 180oC / 160oC (fan)
- grease and line a 1lb loaf tin
- Cream the peanut butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- add the eggs and beat well
- add the flour and cocoa powder and the yogurt and beat well until well combined
- pour into the loaf tin and bake for 40-50 minutes until cooked right through and risen
- Once cooled remove from the tin
- Make some more of the icing, but melting the remaining chocolate and stirring in the remaining peanut butter
- Pour over the top of the cold loaf cake and stick the doughnuts over the top as best you can
- add some sprinkles
This is my #BakeoftheWeek – what is yours?
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.casacostello.com" title="Casa Costello" target="_blank"><img src="http://casacostello.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bake-of-the-week.jpg" alt="Casa Costello" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
Last week we had 8 delicious recipes linked up, and I was torn between two of them for my favourite, but in the end I am going with Eileen’s Chinese Swiss Roll because the sponge looks so light and fluffy, and those sprinkles look so neat and well sprinkled!
Here are the other yummy bakes:
- Kate’s Sun-Dried Tomato, Parmesan & Walnut Puff Pastry Swirls with new Jus-Rol gluten free ready-rolled puff pastry
- Cathy’s MONTY BOJANGLES CHOCCY SCOFFY BROWNIES
- Louise’s Chocolate Orange Meringue Nests
- Claire’s White Chocolate Banana Bread
- Angela’s Pear, Chocolate & Spice Cake
- Hazel’s Vanilla Baked Cheesecake
- Anca’s Krantz Cake
It is very easy to join in , you just need to link up something you have recently baked, add the badge and add a link to my blog (http://www.mummymishaps.co.uk ) and to Helen’s (http://casacostello.com) and , if you would like extra Retweets, feel free to tag us in your tweets @JennyPaulin & @CasaCostello with the #BakeoftheWeek hashtag.
Please pop over to Helen to link up your #BakeoftheWeek recipes now.
Happy baking x
I reviewed the Bake Box because I am a :